Thursday, January 17, 2008

Tested on Dermatologists

Left Coast Mom asked last week, “Does ‘Dermatologist tested’ mean ‘Tested on dermatologists, not rats?”

Funny question but actually something I ponder from time to time when using the products in my bathroom that explicitly state, “Not tested on animals.” Er, you testing on me?

My dad was a brainiac by nature and a toxicologist by trade. He conducted tests on animals to ensure consumer products were safe. My sister and I, avowed animal lovers, grew up in a household where sick bunnies would come home (presumably to be watched over) and die. It’s truly a horrifying thought but, as my father would contend, a necessary evil.

If an unsafe product was sold to the masses, the manufacturer would face serious liability issues and dire financial consequences not to mention a long-term lack of consumer faith based on presumed ethical wrongdoing – which further translates into even greater revenue losses.

No reliable firm would risk endangering my safety, and the health of their company, with inadequate product testing. Right?

Which means to me that, “Not tested on animals” is an appealing yet empty marketing statement. The company must be relying upon previously published research conducted on animals perhaps by an independent third-party, in a university setting or even by a competitor who isn’t capitalizing on such claims.

I’m sure, somehow, my logic is flawed. It wouldn’t be the first time. If anyone wants to educate me on how to commercialize a safe consumer product without testing on animals, I’m all ears. But please don’t start by telling me that all “natural” products are safe. That I'm not buying.

No comments: