Monday, September 17, 2007

Benefit Concerts

While watching Son #2's Little League game yesterday, Son #1 said to me, "One of the three bands I'm going to be in when I'm older is going to make it big. I want to be so famous that we can put on benefit concerts for the poor. And teach people who don't know English how to read and write. I'm also going to take a lot of the money that I make when I'm rich and build houses for the homeless."

I told him that he had complete support for that venture.

Later, we went to see daddy play a benefit concert for a local lumberjack celebrity, Dave Jewett, who is trying to raise funds for his recent kidney transplant and the long-term costs associated with a lifetime of cost-prohibitive medication.

When we didn't win anything in the raffle and some lucky man outbid me in the final throes of the silent auction for the villa in Cabo, Son #1 was dismayed. Then the hubby informed him that the money went to a good cause and he relaxed. I then wondered if he knew about today's benefit concert when he made the comment in the morning . . .

Regardless, I hope that as a family, we can become more altruistic. We have a lot to be thankful for.

No comments: