Thursday, June 28, 2007

Carry Me Home to My Kin

Having spent a number of years in NYC and a brief 18 months outside of D.C., I know firsthand and can fully appreciatethat the Rochester airwaves are much more compelling than those in some of the major broadcast markets in this country.

For a relatively small city, we have great radio stations and world-class programs including: Friday night soul on WRUR, Saturday morning Memory Lane (R&B) on WDKX, Bad Dog Blues midday Sunday followed up by a Whole Lotta Shakin on WITR, New Wave Wednesdays on alternative music’s WBER, and the homegrown jazz station that my hubby favors, WGMC.

This is why it came as a bit of surprise when my five-year-old and I were in a local pizzeria recently and he screamed, “Sweet Home Alabama” after three (maybe four) notes of Skynard came on the air. Everyone turned to us and laughed.

Turn it up.

No comments: