Thursday, September 24, 2009

I'm Still Reaching for the Stars

Thanks to my happy-go-lucky, 6' tall brother for more uplifting news!

A recent study published in the journal Economics and Human Biology indicates that tall people live better lives and are happier, on average, than their height-challenged counterparts -- which, for women, means those of us who are 5'4" or shorter (i.e., me).

Whoa doggie. Looks like I've inherited the disadvantaged, les miserables, shortie gene. Shocking. This may explain why I'm always searching for that elusive state of being called "happiness." It's right around the next corner, for sure, apparently killing time with my taller friends.

According to a related article on Bloomberg, "the findings support a hypothesis put forth in 2008 that tall people are more likely than shorter people to have reached their full cognitive potential." The research concludes that the findings are almost entirely explained by the positive association between height and both income and education.

Did I defy the odds with my super impressive graduate degree and highfalutin salary? Without them, would I be down-and-out, devoid of laughter and utterly despondent? Darn it all. If I were just a bit taller, perhaps I wouldn't have to think so hard on a routine basis and, instead, I could fill my days with glee.

Is it any wonder that Gary Larson picked the shortest guy in the class for the cartoon below?



To think this was published >20 years before the research confirmation. Ah well. Does this mean they have to lower the glass ceiling even further for me?

3 comments:

uncle wally said...

I'm surprised you didn't use the findings of the study as a reason to go shoe shopping.

Pranayama mama said...

for high heels?

Suzanne Marie DeWitt said...

Mmmmm, shoes...

I've been doing informal surveys on the sexiness quotient of various shoes lately. Comparing low-heeled brown multi-stringed gladiator sandals to peep toe high wedged black "dress" espadrilles for example. The results have been surprising.

As for shoe shopping, who needs excuses? Wait, maybe I do. Even though I'm not that short.

Does Simon need a pair for the Hannah Montana debut?