Friday, February 6, 2009

Nice Timing!

I just received a six-color, three-panel, die-cut, coated, foldout brochure with pocket containing an application for membership and "call to action" for FREE (all caps!) access to an exclusive Webcast and a $20 gift card if I join by October 31, 2008. The worst part: it's from the American Marketing Association!

Maybe they should be taking some pointers from the Direct Marketing Association on how to get their expensive mail in their prospects' mailboxes before the deadline -- not 3+ months too late.

"Marketing is moving in new directions. How will you navigate it?"

In hindsight, that pseudo-compelling headline now sounds suspiciously like they're really asking for advice. I think I'll avoid the $215 membership dues entirely and "navigate my way to greater success" alone.

2 comments:

Suzanne Marie DeWitt said...

I love the ones I get at home which contain the requisite 4 page type written letter, response card, info sheet, etc. What a waste of time, materials, and good intent. I think I'd respond better to a postcard that said "We need money. Go to www.yourfavoritecharity.org to help."

Pranayama mama said...

you gave me inspiration for another post!