Monday, February 9, 2009

Jerry's Kids

I've been wondering for a couple of weeks how the MDA got so many blinkin' people to take part in their "MDA Lock Up" campaign. Each person who agrees to take part has a contribution goal and hits up his/her contacts up to donate money. On the day of the campaign, the person must go to jail (which, in this case, is a local bar -- is that the hook?) and cannot be released until the agreed-upon funds are raised. So, s/he spends the afternoon dialing for dollars and purportedly "networking" with other people who are also donating their time/money to help the MDA.

There are so many organizations that need funds right now: what makes the MDA campaign so compelling? Is it the fun nature of being "jailed" for the day? Does it make it easier for people to give because the event itself has a whimsical storyline?

I have nothing against the MDA but here's what struck me when I clicked on the link and asked myself: what can my hard-earned money provide to the MDA?

$87 will fund one minute of research

One minute. Are you kidding me? I could sponsor a third-world child for three months for roughly the same amount of money. Or I could help to change the world one smile at a time.

Not one to let this drop, I went on Charity Navigator where I noticed that the MDA was given only two stars (out of four). I wonder how many of my friends and acquaintances who were jailed last week know where their money is going. I'm sure it's a worthy cause -- I would just rather put my dollars elsewhere.

3 comments:

P Domino D said...

smile train is my favorite... every cent goes to helping poor children... zero goes to their overhead.

Unknown said...

The nonprofit I work for is a Charity Navigator Four-Star charity!

Wow, I'm disappointed with MDA. Always best to do your research before you donate...

Pranayama mama said...

I got an email from a friend who was too lazy (his words) to find his password to write a comment but he added this: "To add insult to injury I just got my MDA thank-you letter . . . The hand-signed letter saying what a pleasure it was to meet me at the event (which I didn't attend) was an especially personal touch. I'm glad I had the Kleenex nearby."