Thursday, November 6, 2008

And They'll Know We Are Christians by Our Love

As a result of this election, I'm being inundated with heaps of upsetting messages from my Christian friends including:
  • Emails regarding Obama's potential choice of "fanatically pro-abortion" Kathleen Sebelius for a cabinet position. Yet, according to an April 2008 press release from her office as governor of Kansas, "Over the last several years, we have worked on lowering abortion rates in Kansas by focusing on adoption incentives, extended health services for pregnant women, providing sex education and offering a variety of support services for families. Those efforts are having a positive impact; recently we learned that the abortion rate in Kansas continues to go down." In addition, according to the Kansas Department of Health and Environment, abortions have declined 9% since she took office in 2002. What gives?
  • A celebratory email regarding California's Prop 8 decision which my girlfriend Melanie at Left Coast Mom thankfully covered exceptionally well regarding the embedded hypocrisy. So if my hubby dies, I cannot remarry as a Christian because I have no intention of procreating? Yeah, okay.
  • Prayers regarding if the enemy is behind Obama's victory. Meanwhile, we're in two wars and the economy is tanking. Are those crises Obama's fault? No. So why is the current regime somehow more acceptable and more Christ-like? I sincerely do not get it.
When did being a Democrat become synonymous with being anti-Christian? When did it become acceptable for Republicans to become "one issue" (i.e., morality-based) voters? At what point is it okay to restrict people's civil rights and liberties based on the moral majority? Shouldn't living by Christian tenets be each individual's choice vs. a government mandate? Is the U.S. becoming Iraq's radical Christian doppleganger?

Most importantly, I firmly understand why people don't want to be associated with my belief system. My walk with Christ is just that: my walk. Not yours. Not anyone else's. But if we continue to be unloving toward those who are not on the same path, then I can guarantee that I'll be walking alone. Who on earth would want to join me?

5 comments:

uncle wally said...

okay, i'll die if that's what you want, and i read the post correctly.

Pranayama mama said...

so i can remain single for the rest of my life?

Suzanne Marie DeWitt said...

Although our communion is pro-life, our Bishop wrote a wonderful piece on how Obama's election helps right the wrongs of slavery and discrimination in our country. I was proud of him.

Pranayama mama said...

I'm personally pro-life but don't think my Christian beliefs should be legislated.

Would love to see your Bishop's piece; i think i may need to find a new church.

Unknown said...

I read a great article about pro-life Catholics supporting Obama in the Christian Science Monitor. Link here: http://features.csmonitor.com/politics/2008/10/29/can-antiabortion-catholics-support-obama-some-do/