Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Back to School 2008

One kid is beyond excited for school; the other is filled with the dread of sitting idle. One kid cannot wait to make new friends; the other couldn't care less. One kid is anxious to play kickball during recess; the other wishes that school could be taught through video games where the kids compete against each other virtually and win prizes.

After two years bearing his of extreme boredom, I think his idea actually has merit.

For Labor Day weekend, I decided to spend as much time as possible being a kid again. I woke up on Saturday morning and played almost two hours of Guitar Hero III with Son #2 -- and he let me play whatever songs I wanted (e.g., Sonic Youth, Beasties, Dead Kennedys, Sex Pistols). He won every round.

All the kids in the neighborhood and I played in the dirt pit. I had mud all the way up my arms but I built a big volcano and then a tepee out of sticks. What talent!

Son #2 and I went for a bike ride and the following day we went go-carting and played miniature golf. On Monday we went swimming at my girlfriend Christine's house.

We had the neighbors over for Sangria on Saturday night, a fire pit on Sunday night and a neighborhood picnic, complete with the hubby's famous "green chicken" burritos, on Monday night.

No work. No work. No work.

I think I fully understand Son #1's position on school. "I'd rather just run around all day." Guess what? Me too.

No comments: