Wednesday, July 30, 2008

I Live in a Cave

Did you ever notice that as Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer leaves the Island of Misfit Toys, he walks out of the house in the middle of the night and forgets to close the door? It's winter and just short of the North Pole for crying out loud. Dude, your friends could die!

My friend Todd once quipped, "What's up with that Rudolph? Were you raised in a cave?" (Answer: yes.)

Anyway, I now know for a fact that I, too, live in a cave, under a rock, on a distant planet far outside the solar system because I just heard that the Foo Fighters played here last night with Supergrass. While I think the Foo Fighters have some fantabulous tunes (e.g., Everlong), I really love Supergrass. The kids really love Supergrass. We're one big happy Supergrass family. Well, maybe not the hubby.

Yes, I feel like I'm way too old to be going to shows and, yes again, I probably wouldn't have enjoyed myself, blah blah blah -- but I think I would have made an exception for this show. But I'm so out of the mix, I didn't even know it was taking place. L - l - loser!

To make it even more interesting given that we hillbillies have very little going on in these parts, apparently the entire cast of Top Chef was with them taping an episode here with the Foo(d) Fighters (sorry, couldn't help myself). They were all sighted yesterday afternoon in their white chef's coats at a local supermarket that (for some unknown reason) was NOT Wegman's but was reportedly a lesser known retailer in a small town. I can't help but wonder: were they in our very own little Mendon Meadows Market (a.k.a. M3)?

After the show, they were again sighted at the Dinosaur BBQ downtown where I could have been had I gone to the show. But, then again, probably not. Who needs to pig out (no pun intended) at that hour?

I suddenly feel the need to rewrite the lyrics to "Alright" from:
We are young, we run green,
Keep our teeth, nice and clean,
See our friends, see the sights, feel alright.

To this to better reflect my life:
We are old, we're uncool
Water the lawn, clean the pool (if we had one)
Feed our kids, kiss them goodnight, feel alright

2 comments:

uncle wally said...

Remember Foo Fighters on the MSG special? Bored me to tears.

Pranayama mama said...

I know. But even some of my favorite bands fall flat on TV (e.g., Austin City Limits, SNL). Not sure why that is.