Thursday, July 12, 2007

Elie Elie Oxen Free

Since I seem to have gotten on a roll about my ex-bosses, it's only fair to share my next, positive experience: Elie.

After leaving the sex maniac (who I forgot to mention, not only got divorced but, I've been told, cannot visit his daughter without supervision -- God only knows what that's all about, if true), I immediately went into therapy. Why do I seek out, and find, such freakishly bizarre, often drunk, bosses? Do other people have normal work lives? If so, what does that entail? What is "normal"?

I went through months of unemployment while trying to find the "perfect job." During that time, I barely interviewed. Instead, I would meet my friend Todd, who lost his job when Isaac Mizrahi went under, and we would go to the beach. One day, standing in Grand Central and feeling guilty as we headed to a beach in CT, he said, "Stop and look around. Notice anything?" I didn't. He then said, "We're the only two smiling."

Much to my husband's chagrin, I finally relaxed and began to enjoy not working!

It was right after this that I took a train uptown to 125th Street, boarded MetroNorth heading out of the city, and took a shuttle bus to a nondescript office park in White Plains for my interview with Elie. As I waited for him, I knew for a fact: this suburban asylum is clearly NOT where I want to spend my days.

But as we chatted, I was very honest about my search and my resolution not to repeat my past mistakes. (More on that later.) Little did I know, at the time, that he was a spiritual guru. He meditates daily, prays before meals, goes on months-long silent retreats, and gives up one (just one) vice every new moon. Not the right boss for many but the perfect boss for me. He completely understood that I was trying to redirect my path and, possibly for that reason only, took a chance on me.

And he turned out to be a wonderful boss. Unbelievably smart. Intuitive. Always knew what was right for our clients (not that they always listened). And he constantly tried to make each of us into better people, personally and professionally. I love him!

So what do I do? I leave a year later, of course.

2 comments:

Pranayama mama said...

so i could meet you! and get rich . . . d'oh!

Melanie K said...

i'm sorry--i guess that didn't work out quite the way you planned. unless those options were actually worth something after all? ;)