Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Best Friends Forever

Aside from a brief moment of knowing where a certain document of my boss’ was (in the wrong client file), I haven’t had a strong intuitive experience in many years. The last one I did have was really strange, however.

In NYC, I had a girlfriend with whom I did everything. Drinks, dinner, shopping. My favorite thing of all, however, was sitting with her on the rock by the pond in Central Park. We would spend hours there on weekends casually scrutinizing the wedding parties in the boat house and watching the couples who rented rowboats.

One night, she and I went out to meet some friends of hers and then we shared a cab across town. I was heading home and she was meeting up with her boyfriend (who my husband referred to as “Chinless”). She asked me to come into the sports bar where she was meeting Chinless to make sure he was there before I took off. I did.

She then said she would walk me home if I waited for her to use the bathroom. The minute she left, Chinless turned to me frantically. “Did you see anything when you came in?” I had no idea what he was talking about but it couldn’t have been good.

When we went to leave, he said he wanted to come outside with us for a moment and smoke a joint. He went to get his coat and, as he walked away, he whispered something to my friend. She asked aloud, “What the hell is that supposed to mean?” I shared with her what he said to me. She looked pissed.

When we got outside, they were smoking pot while I was doing a handstand against the building (one of my default stress-relief mechanisms). Then, as we went to leave, he and I hugged goodbye slightly. She spewed, “get your hands off her.”

To make a long story short, we walked toward my apartment and then stood by the river at Carl Schurz Park watching the boats pass by and the moonlight ripple on the waves. It was very peaceful.

When I hugged her goodnight, a big booming voice sounded in my head, “You will never see her again.” It was so loud, I was taken aback.

When I got inside and told my husband, he told me I was probably feeling some weird vibes because she was stoned. I wasn’t.

She was my best friend for years and I’ve never seen or heard from her again. And sometimes I still miss her.

No comments: