Saturday, December 18, 2010

Hooray for Geeks

This morning, I awoke to go swimming but first checked the RAC website to make sure there were no classes in the pool. Nope, none until 9:00 a.m. I arrived to find an 8:00 a.m. class beginning in 15 minutes.

Me: Your website is wrong. It says the Aqua-Cise class is at 9:00 a.m.

Front desk chick: I don't handle the website.

Me: Well, I don't appreciate driving all of the way here to discover that I cannot swim.

Front desk chick: (blank stare)

Me (leading the witness): Is there someone I can contact to get this corrected?

Front desk chick: I don't know. Maybe I could ask someone else when they get in?

Me: That would be great.

I love her not-my-problem, out-of-my-functional-silo, maybe-do attitude.

So I went home and on the way stopped at Tim Hortons because we had a sleepover last night and Son #2's friend loves vanilla dip donuts. (If you can't exercise, might as well eat disgusting sugar encrusted lipids for breakfast.)

Aside from the Geek Squad truck pulling in, the parking lot was otherwise empty. Being lazy from a lack of exercise at the gym, I opted for the drive-thru.

Me: I would like a dozen donuts.

Drive-thru dude: That'll be $6.49; drive up to the window.

Me: Don't you want to know what kind I want?

Dude: It's just assorted in the drive-thru. If you want to pick your donuts, you have to come it.

Me: But no one's behind me and the restaurant is empty.

Dude: Yeah, but you still have to come in.

So in I went. I love his follow-the-rules-even-when-ridiculous, no-can-do approach to customer satisfaction.

On the way in, the Geek Squad held the door for me. I, in turn, offered to hold the inside door for them but they wouldn't let me.

Geek: We're not only friendly guys, we're representing the fabulous Best Buy brand.

Say what???? Um, did I just hear that correctly? A delivery crew who is trained to serve customers, or potential customers, well even when popping in off the clock to grab donuts? And mention their brand name in the process?

Best Buy. My new heroes. Really, it doesn't take much.

No comments: