Friday, April 16, 2010

American Idiot

What idiotic mom takes her eight year old son to a Green Day concert? (You really don't have to answer that.) But thanks to the Citi card pre-sale option, he and I are now proud owners of two seats under the shell at the Darien Lake Performing Arts Center. For Son #2, August couldn't come any sooner.

Our little guy may be one of the world's biggest Green Day fans. He has been into the band for years as initially evidenced by this post from 2007. At one point, the hubby recorded Green Day Live at Irving Plaza for him but subsequently had to delete it after the kid, probably four or five years old at the time, watched it at least 1-2 times per day and drove us absolutely bonkers.* After that, we would find him sitting quietly in the basement listening to the band on his computer -- ear to the speakers.

*Note: That nightly void has now been filled with three seasons of Criss Angel DVDs thanks to Aunt Sue & Uncle Kevin. 

Every time we get in the car, to this day, he asks if I can play a Green Day CD. Just the other night, he asked me to come downstairs while he sampled Green Day tunes for me. He's discovered their version of  I Fought the Law and has been listening it along with other versions including The Clash and the Dead Kennedys (who sing "and I won" as he pointed out to me). I contend The Clash version is the best; he clearly disagrees.

In a semi-related note: Joe Strummer was a hottie. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm. London Calling? A gift from Kevin when I was in HS. The man knows his audience . . .



2 comments:

Citygirl said...

My son, at the ripe age of 5 fell in love with Nirvana. Have fun Mom!! Way cool.

Pranayama mama said...

Can't blame him for that!