Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Redemption is Sweet

When I was in elementary school, a traveling pianist came to play at our school auditorium. I was seated in the front row and, much like Bruce Springsteen pulling Courtney Cox to the stage (or maybe just kinda), he brought me up on stage and kissed me. And not in a good way.

For at least a week, until I felt like he was safely somewhere else, I rode in the back seat of our station wagon lying down so that he couldn't see/find me. I was terrified, ashamed, embarrassed, disgusted (and so on).

Roughly 25 years later, in the late 90s, the hubby and I went to see David "Honeyboy" Edwards -- a blues legend who won a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award this week. After an amazing show, we went up to shake his hand and he surprisingly kissed me. But, unlike the original vile kiss of my childhood, this was an unexpected, kind gesture from a living legend.

So today I send out a warm, heartfelt congratulations to Honeyboy. I feel honored and privileged to have seen him live and grateful for the redemptive kiss.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.davidhoneyboyedwards.com/

Citygirl said...

Glad such a great man could redeem that for you. All I can say about the other is ewwwwwwwwwwww.

Suzanne Marie DeWitt said...

Face it: you are just that irresistible.

Pranayama mama said...

thanks eva but i'm pretty sure i haven't been kissed since!