Friday, December 4, 2009

Let Them Know it's Christmas Time

Monroe Golf Club hosts an annual women's holiday party on behalf of the Society for the Protection and Care of Children. I attended the first year that we moved home but, since then, have only dropped off presents for my angel on the day of the event -- usually around lunchtime.

Last night, I stopped by after work and was overcome with emotion by the sheer number of gifts lining the lobby. Bags stuffed to the brim with toys, dolls, games, stuffed animals, you name it. On the floor were hula hoops, bicycles and electronics.

As I drove away, my car parked between a Lincoln SUV and a Cadillac SUV, I began sobbing. There must be hundreds of kids in the protection of this one agency alone. Not to mention the countless others whose names and wish lists are written on paper angels that hang on Christmas trees in churches across the city (including mine).

How many kids are in desperate need right here in our little city? I feel very blessed to be able to share even a small portion of what we have with one boy in need.

I pray that our family's angel, "Anthony, XL, age 12," has a very Merry Christmas.

No comments: