Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Grad School Reunion!

They tried to make me go to rehab but I said “no, no, no.”


Okay, where to start with a fun-filled four day trip to NYC? Definitely with friends because I have the best friends anyone could ever wish for. Margaroo – definitely my best friend in a “past life” too (per her beliefs!) with heaps of continued common music/God interests to talk about. Martin – generous beyond belief, funny and kind to boot. Melissa – gorgeous, sweet, fun and spunky. Laura – awesome friendship that, over this weekend, included much schlepping about while I tried on clothes. (Sorry!) Petey – absolutely love him. Period. Janette – inspirational, energetic, driven and my future business partner, right?! Not to mention I loved meeting her gorgeous kids. John C. – really funny, as always. And it was nice to meet the “ex” girlfriend. Anu – elegant, beautiful and kind. Lastly, Ann and John – classic, upscale, reserved and probably wondering how on earth they ever became friends with us to begin with! (Read conservative: Ann rolled her eyes and promised to take in an episode of the Colbert Report in return for me trying Gossip Girls. I’m definitely game for that.)


I’m just sad that four days goes by so quickly.


If there’s a recession, it’s only noticeable by the crazy markdowns in the stores. Amazing sales but I’m not sure they’re warranted just yet. I have never seen so many people shopping in all my life. It was virtually impossible to navigate the sidewalks in the midtown/Rockefeller Center areas. I don’t remember it being quite so crowded in the years that we lived there. Or maybe I just shopped more wisely then than I do now as a tourist.


From dawn to well beyond dusk, we never stopped. We shopped at Century 21, Reiss, Zara (total crap), Bloomies, Saks, Designer Resale (my fave), ABC Carpet and Home, myriad shoe stores and the holiday fair at Union Square – which is one of my all-time favorite things to do at Christmas time. And the dude in the Celtic jewelry stand where Margaret bought her cross even played The Pogues “Fairy Tale in New York” just for me.


After all that, I only came home with two fat-ass-covering, cashmere sweaters and some cheap bracelets. Oh, and two hats: one orange and the other a leopard skin cap that Martin bought (i.e., one for each of us). Fun!


Speaking of fat asses, walked throughout downtown on Bleecker to find the best cupcakes in the world at Magnolia Bakery and then found them right up the street from our hotel at the Sixth Ave. branch again the very next day. Yessiree! A two-cupcake weekend!


Ate at normal but fun restaurants like the Shake Shack, Heartland Brewery, Chat 'n' Chew and a cool, newish bistro called Five Napkins (where I had a yummy frozen strawberry mojito at lunch – hey, I was on vacation). We also had a tasty meal (with a lychee martini) at Indochine where our cute waiter was great. Actually, we pretty much tested every appetizer there, too – all were fabooo. I even tried and liked the lamb appetizer. Who knew?


We ended that night at the Apartment in Grand Central Station where I had a big punch drink in an oversized brandy snifter. The next night Martin treated us to an unbelievable meal (read: non-economic downturn prices), with delicious wine, at Valbella a modern industrial space in the meatpacking district. Our waiter there was topnotch, too. Especially since his specials list went on for the better part of five minutes. Uh, could you repeat that? I opted for the shrimp stuffed with crabmeat stuffed with lobster stuffed with whatever else they could find appetizer followed by the white truffle linguini. Low fat for sure. And then we shared a Grand Marnier soufflé, two chocolate soufflés and crème brulee. Hello.


And my favorite of all favorite things to do in NYC? I went to church at Redeemer Presbyterian where Tim Keller preached a sermon on, of all topics, work! It was as if he knew I was going to be there . . . Also, the choir brought me to tears. It’s simply powerful to hear hymns echoed by a throng of hundreds. Just beautiful, I say, beautiful.


It was a perfect weekend. Perfect. However, now is the time to detox and I'll say, "yes, yes, yes."


No comments: