Thursday, February 21, 2008

Go Amerks!

The hubby and I took the kids to a Rochester Americans game last night thanks to some free tickets courtesy of our public library. I hadn't been to a game since the early 80s. Even though it was the week of February break (and both Family Night and College Night), I guess with a 16-33 record it shouldn't have been surprising to find the arena less than half full! More room to stretch.

But, I have to say, it was a hoot. They gave out light-up maracas and had all of the customary games/music/Moose mascots for the kids to enjoy. But, most importantly, after playing poorly during the first two periods, the Amerks came out for the final period in rare form. It became a fast-paced game with a number of just-missed attempts that kept me on the edge of my seat. Given that I could barely keep my eyes open before the game began, that was no easy feat.

The best part: The Amerks won in overtime. Sudden death is fun!

I do have two questions however:
  1. What were they thinking when they named the opposing team the "Albany River Rats"?
  2. Why are 99.9% of the spectators white?
Any answers?

4 comments:

Renfrew Zetz said...

I dunno where River Rats came from, other than that Albany sits on a big ol' river and if William Kennedy is to be believed, they have rats there . . .

Hockey was invented in Holland; it grew to its greatest popularity throughout Canada and the northern US in largely suburban and rural areas. It's big in Scandinavia and much of the western portion of Russia and the former Soviet Bloc, and pretty much nowhere else outside of relatively recent NHL expansion into the southern US. So I'd say that's the reason right there that the audience is pale. Also, look at the guys on the ice - pretty lily white, all right. Not to mention socioeconomic factors, but I'm too worn out to start up that slope right at the moment . . .

Pranayama mama said...

Hey Mr. Zetz! Trolling blogs from your bucolic retreat in the hinterlands of MA?

Renfrew Zetz said...

Alas, no more bucolic hinterlands. I'm a city dweller now. I done switched states and -c[h]esters.

KevinOn7 said...

Last Amerks game I went to was in high school. It was Genny dime beer night, so needless to say the croud was getting a bit out of hand. When we (TB and me) went up to the concession stand about half-way through the game to get another 10 beers, we ran smack into our HS calculus teacher whose face was red as the setting sun and looked to be about 7 or 8 sheets to the wind. Another good time at Rochester (pseudo-) professional sports.