Monday, June 27, 2011

Mount Hope Cemetery

Today is Monday and I didn't go to work! Repeat: I didn't go to work!

Instead, I went for an early morning walk with my girlfriend Gretchen through Rochester's beautiful, hilly, gothic, moorish Mount Hope Cemetery. We admired the monuments, obelisks, mile high angels, wildly overrun plantation and pea-soupish ponds.

I love the hands on hearts, below, along with the skyward finger point. (Apparently that wasn't originated by hip hop performers and/or football players in the end zone. Who knew?)

 


















We went to see the burial site of suffragette Susan B. Anthony . . . 


And the famous abolitionist Frederick Douglass . . .















And, of course, the sites of Gretchen's family and that of my hubby's grandparents (i.e., my kids' great grandparents) Link and Castleman below. It would have been our future grave site, as well, but we declined a few years ago and the MIL sold the plots. D'oh!

No comments: