Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Haste-makes-wasteology?

Until last night, I sincerely believed I was the easiest person to please food-wise. I’m equally as content dining in upscale restaurants as I am gorging myself on cheeseburgers at Tom Wahls. And, in my humble opinion, Kraft Macaroni & Cheese – the powdered kind lest there be any confusion – is better than “gourmet” Mac & Cheese any day. On the flip side, I can’t find a suitable tuna anywhere since I had killer sashimi years ago at the Market Street Bar & Grill in the Hyatt at the Reston Town Center. Alas, my hunt continues.

In recent weeks, I’ve enjoyed a fabulous Chilean sea bass at Max of Eastman Place, shared a delicious plate of Cajun calamari with my girlfriend at Bistro 135, devoured a heavenly breakfast empanada at Juan and Maria’s in the Rochester Public Market, and even found a little slice of yum with the Triple Chocolate Meltdown at our neighborhood Crapplebee’s. Really, it doesn’t take much.

Welcome to Tasteology: Rochester’s very own introduction into branded “health food.” With a clever concept, fabulous mission (the passionate pursuit of great food and inspired customers) and a CIA-trained head chef, what could go wrong? Oh, I wish you hadn't asked. The poor execution of an overstated brand promise, that’s what.

If you like dining at the Ikea Café sans the deliciously fattening Swedish meatballs, this is the place for you. Picture an oversized, nondescript dining room with Pergo-like flooring, colorful green painted walls and what I possibly remember to be plastic chairs —devoid of any warmth—and voila, try to make yourself at home on a chilly, wet, November evening. And feel free to ignore the woman being filmed in the kitchen and broadcast on a giant screen toward the back given that you cannot hear a word she's saying and the top of her head is cut off.

But really, lack of ambiance and technical difficulties aside, we were there for the “great food.”

I ordered the Parrilla touted as “grilled Argentinean style barbeque beef with chimichurri herb sauce, fire roasted tomatoes, chiles and Spanish cheeses (on a flatbread)” and sold to me as “really spicy.”

I received what tasted like sweet, barbequed, pulled pork over chunky Ragu on a flatbread. Being the good friend that I am, I kindly gave pieces to each of my friends. “Try this! No really, I insist!”

Being the good friends that they are, they offered samples of their meals in return. The noodle bowl I tried, to me, tasted like vomit. My girlfriends didn’t mind it nearly as much as I. One commented sadly that she could easily make it at home. Me too! If I stick my finger down my throat . . .

With all due respect, the Sizzology (i.e., stir fried beef, broccoli and cashews with black bean sauce, cinnamon roasted sweet plantains and sesame basmati brown rice) was the best item at our table. Hearty flavor with a hint of cinnamon sweetness. If there’s ever a next time, I’ll be sure to order it. I don’t want to venture out of my comfort zone here ever again! And I'm not naturally risk-adverse.

Thankfully Brio is next door. The minute we finished our meals, we walked (make that ran) next door, grabbed a bottle of wine and sunk into the leather couch and seats by the bar. Surrounded by candles and floor-to-ceiling curtains, we then proceeded to relax and stuff ourselves full with two fairly large bowls of spicy snack mix.

Goodbye health food. Hello Frito Lay!

Please, Tasteology, do us a favor, take some more time to perfect your recipes before going to market. We really do want you to succeed.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

In response to “Haste-makes-wasteology,”

I’m delighted to have seen your posting and to be able to respond. I happen to agree with a lot you had to say. Not all, but a lot. I love Tom Wahl’s, too, and I have since I was a boy. I also have had some really fine meals at the Hyatt Regency Hotel in Reston Town Center. The Hyatt really knows how to delight its clientele.

It may be that Tasteology is just not your cup of tea. I’ll be the first to admit we serve some dishes I don’t care for, simply as a matter of personal taste. I’ve also found that from time to time we serve some things I ordinarily enjoy that let me down due to inconsistency of preparation. For the most part, of course, I really enjoy our food and the vast, vast majority of our customers do as well.

Your review said you experienced “the poor execution of an overstated brand promise.” I don’t doubt your opinion one bit. It sounds like our promise was poorly executed in your case. And I do apologize for that. The fact that we are brand new, and still working out the kinks, is no excuse. Customers have the right to dine at a restaurant that has the kinks worked out – though so few do.

Let me respond to your critique of our décor. You don’t like it. On the other hand, I like it a lot! And the overwhelming opinion of our guests is that they like it a lot, too. So we’ll keep it. One of them went so far as to say “I have never felt so at home in a restaurant. This place touches my soul.” True story. But your view is there is a “lack of ambiance.” Our ambiance apparently is not your cup of tea.

Let’s discuss your reactions to your meal. The Parilla was not spicy enough for you. I’ve added this comment to the arrows and accolades our chefs receive and I thank you for that. It’s crucial to any business that they listen very carefully to the comments of their customers, and we do that. Fact is, I ordered it for lunch today and, while it tasted good, it was a little too spicy for me. Each to their own taste, I guess.

The noodle bowl tasted like “vomit”?? I’m dubious, but I’ve reported your comment to our chefs. We have a great many guests who order our noodle bowls and love them, but you apparently got a bad penny.

I’m delighted you found the Sizzology pleasing. It is a very popular item, though it is not one of my personal favorites. I prefer the Southern Charm or the Beef Stew. But, again, that’s just a matter of taste.

That’s one reason we have so many interesting and tasty items on our menu – something to please almost every taste. And so far, most of our customers tell us they are delighted.

I’m glad you went next door and enjoyed Brio’s food, where you said you proceeded to “stuff yourselves full” of snack mix. I like Brio on occasion myself. They serve some wonderful dishes. Snack Mix may not be the healthiest choice -- but whatever suits your taste. As your review says, “Hello Frito Lay!”

I should add that I agree completely with your final point, that Tasteology should not offer meals to our guests before we have perfected our recipes. Aside from “perfection” being another matter of personal taste, I can say that I am not satisfied that our dishes are perfect, at least not all of them, and not all the time. As I said, the excuse that we are “new” is no excuse at all. We should get our guest experience right every time for every guest. We will continue to strive to do that. I promise you that personally.

I hope that everyone who dines at tasteology will email me at tomchapple@tasteology.com so we can fix the things that need to be fixed and keep the many things that make Tasteology “just right” for so many repeat guests.

Thank you for writing.


Tom Chapple
Co-owner
Tasteology

p.s. By the way, our chairs are wood, not plastic.

Pranayama mama said...

Whoa!

I love the fact that you took the time to a) find me and b) respond in such detail. Color me impressed.

As an almost daily Lean Cuisine eater, I do not necessarily have to gorge myself on fattening foods to enjoy my meal. (Please also see my review of the low-cal Deerfield Spa.) Given your thoughtful response, I will gladly come back again to try the Southern Charm or Beef Stew (which is, oddly enough, what I almost ordered). D'oh! Live and learn.

Please note: The closing in my blog was very sincere. I really do want you to succeed!

All the best.

Joy Bergfalk said...

I have just commended Tom Chapple of Tasteology of his response to your blog. His communication skills are emblematic of what we teach in our programs through Life Listening Resources and Project Empower. I was quite dismayed by your review and the way you expressed your concerns. I noticed that you said you are a Christian (I am Baptist clergy and liberal Deomocrat) but didn't feel that the communication style felt very Christian. I do appreciate your response to Tom's response to your blog. And I will say that I have very much enjoyed the food at Tasteology and love the ambience and decor--and also appreciate the support our nonprofit has received from Tasteology

Anonymous said...

I want not agree on it. I regard as warm-hearted post. Specially the appellation attracted me to read the whole story.

Anonymous said...

Genial fill someone in on and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you on your information.