Monday, August 15, 2011

Lost in Amsterdam

Not sure why I'm posting so many songs lately, your very own blogger DJ (hooker, waitress, model, actress). Regardless, today's song goes out to my niece who is not even a reader of this blog. Alas.

She was just a tiny little kid (one of the cutest, black haired, alabaster skinned kids ever) when I started dating the hubby a million years ago. I remember her reading a picture book aloud. She couldn't pronounce the Y in yellow; however, she called Indians, "yindians." "How can you say yindians and not yellow?" he asked and she started laughing. And then she started practicing her Ys.

We've watched from a far as she went through her goofy sock stage -- where she would wear two different crazy socks every day -- to her endless fascination, at a young age, with storm chasing. Of course, as the hubby's family is prone to intellectual pursuits, she was the valedictorian of her HS class and got a free ride not just to undergrad but also for her (not-just-one-but) two Master's degrees. She's now an environmentalist living in DC with her foodie boyfriend and having the time of her life.

Brainiac.

The one constant through all of these years: a love of Guster. When she was too young to go to alone, the hubby took her to her first Guster show. Tonight, she's going to her umpteenth Guster concert at Wolf Trap. My kids don't like the band at all but I have a bit of a sweet spot for them just because they remind me of Christine. All grown up.

4 comments:

Suzanne Marie DeWitt said...

I like it.

Suzanne Marie DeWitt said...

And I didn't know you were a waitress.

KevinOn7 said...

So, it looks like s.m. deWitt is your lone reader. Her/him and the German spammer a couple of days ago.

Pranayama mama said...

s.m. you only knew about the hooker part? :)

kevin, you are not alone after all. you have the fabulous company of my girlfriend -- an ex "pub babe" from kodak.